Thinking About LLL Leadership?
- Pre-Application Dialogue
- Pre-Application Guidelines
- The TaLLL Basic Documents web page has additional resources.
Pre-application dialogue gives you the chance to find out more about La Leche League as well as more about yourself. As you explore the importance of La Leche League philosophy in your life and as you discuss the role of the La Leche League Leader, you will learn whether leadership is a commitment you wish to make.
This is an important time, as it enables you to find out as much as you can about what is involved in leadership as well as how the application will help you prepare for leadership. It gives you the chance to share your thoughts and any concerns you may have with your supporting Leader. Together you will hopefully come to a decision that feels right to both of you.
One of the responsibilities of the supporting Leader is to explore with you the ways in which your experience fulfils the LLLI Prerequisites to Applying for Leadership. Using the Pre-Application Guidelines given below, you will explore the ways in which your breastfeeding and mothering experience, as well as other relevant qualities and traits, have prepared you to be a representative of the organisation. Sometimes questions arise and your supporting Leader may consult with another Leader or member of the Leader Accreditation Department (LAD).
We hope that you and your supporting Leader will be in agreement about whether you meet the prerequisites to applying for leadership. Occasionally there is a difference of opinion, in which case a mother interested in leadership can approach the LAD directly. If you would like more information about this, ask your supporting Leader, who will provide you with the appropriate contact details.
Your supporting Leader can use the Pre-Application Guidelines provided below to guide the pre-application dialogue, or you can refer to it to ensure that all your questions have been answered.
You may find it helpful to take notes (or ask your supporting Leader to do so for you). One aspect of application work is to dialogue further with a LAD representative about your experience of breastfeeding and mothering and the ways in which your experience reflects LLL philosophy.
The following are topics to discuss with your LLL Group and/or supporting Leader.
LLLI Prerequisites to Applying for Leadership
- Personal Breastfeeding Experience
- Mother has breastfed her baby for at least nine months when she applies for leadership.
- Her baby was nourished with mother’s milk until there was a nutritional need for other foods (i.e. about the middle of the first year for a healthy, full-term baby).
- If her baby has weaned, he or she was nursed for about a year and the transition from breastfeeding respected the baby’s needs.
Note: Special consideration may be given to a woman whose personal breastfeeding experience is outside the realm of a normal course of breastfeeding.
- Mothering Experience
- Mother values nursing at the breast as the optimal way to nourish, nurture and comfort her baby.
- She recognises, understands and responds to her baby’s need for her presence as well as for her milk.
- She manages any separation from her baby with sensitivity and respect for the baby’s needs.
- Organisational Experience
- Is a current member of LLL.
- Supports LLL purpose and philosophy.
- Has attended at least one series of meetings (where available) and has demonstrated a commitment to LLL.
- Owns and is familiar with the contents of the most recent edition of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, if available in her language, as a primary resource for LLL Leaders.
- Has a recommendation from an LLL Leader.
- Personal Traits
- Has sufficient command of language to complete the application and preparation for accreditation and to fulfil the responsibilities of LLL leadership.
- Has an accepting and respectful attitude toward others.
- Exhibits warmth and empathy towards others.
- Demonstrates or is willing to develop effective communication skills.
- Personal Breastfeeding Experience
La Leche League Philosophy
- Read the TaLLL LLLI Philosophy Web page.
- Discuss each concept separately.
- Discuss how all the concepts relate to one another.
The work of a Leader
- Discuss the ways in which a Leader can fulfill leadership responsibilities.
- The question and answer "What does an LLL Leader do?" in the FAQ might be helpful.
The application work
- Discuss what is expected of the Leader Applicant.
- Read Steps to Accreditation.
- Read Overview of Application Work for Leader Accreditation.
Costs of an Application
- Discuss the current fees/costs of application and accreditation, and what they cover.
- Discuss possible sources of financial help.
- The question and answer "Is there a cost involved?" in the FAQ might be helpful.
____ Thinking About LLL Leadership? (online or compact version)
____ The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
____ Pamphlets/Information Sheets
____ Library books
____ Leader's Handbook
____ Leader Today
____ Area Leader publication
____ LLLI website
____ Appendices 17 and 18 from the Policies and Standing Rules Notebook
____ Overview of Application Work for Leader Accreditation
____ Evaluation Meetings
____ other Groups’ meetings
____ Interested Mothers Workshops
____ Nursing Toddler Meetings
____ Chapter Meetings
____ Area Conferences
____ Communication Skills Sessions
____ LLLI/Affiliate Conferences
Your preferred learning style and way of communicating
- one-to-one discussion
How would you prefer to correspond? postal mail/Email/fax/other
Please let your supporting Leader know your preferences and any other information which could help us guide you through your application.